Sunday, September 9, 2012

FALL FALL FALL!!!

So I finally going to start this blog and try and figure this out as I go! I enjoy writing and find that it can be very therapeutic.  And with two little ones at home and a deployed hubby therapeutic is something I can definitely use.

Living in Georgia the season of fall is definitely not something we experience until maybe around the end of October.  However, being from New York I am used to fall starting in September.  So as this is the first week of September I have found myself in a very festively fall mood.  And pumpkins are definitely FALL to me.  So yesterday I spent my "free" time making these adorable little pumpkin balls.  I had originally planned on hanging them or making a garland but I think they turned out perfect as mantle and table decorations.



I know that there are TONS of online posting about these little paper balls and I have previously seen them as Christmas decorations.  But for any of you out there I will post my little tutorial and some things that I noticed that may help you in creating your own little pumpkin patch!

I started with an assortment of fall colors and then decided to add some patterned paper for little ones which turned out cute and gave a them a little flair.  When making larger ones or ones with skinner pieces I found that they look best when you use double sided card stock since in these cases you see the inside of the ball.

So here's what you will need:

Card stock or some sort of paper
scissors (I used a paper cutter so that's what I will show)  
Pipe cleaners
Brads


I used various lengths and widths of paper making mine so that they would be different sizes. 

First I took a piece of scrapbook paper or card stock and chose my height.  Then cut strips in even widths.  This one I used 1 inch strips.  After you cut the strips punch a hole at the top and bottom of each strip.  I found that using a three hole puncher would cut through more strips at once making it a little speedier.   




Then put a brad through the top holes and another though the bottom holes to secure them together.



 Pull the strips out and around to make them into the ball! At first don't be surprised if they look a little off.  Once you get them all done they will look better.











To make them look like pumpkins I just cut small leaves out of green paper and used pipe cleaners to make the stems.  Green pipe cleaners was what I had on had so it's what I went with.  Hook the end of the pipe cleaner around the top brad and then tie it around the paper leaf.  Curl it and you're done!






I hope you enjoy these! I LOVE paper crafts and these were a great little craft that I could start and come back to, which I did many times! Since I always have stashes of paper around the house they were free!

Happy Crafting!





No comments:

Post a Comment