Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Fall Pumpkin Burlap Wreath




Yes, more pumpkin crafts.  Yes, I have a problem, since I have admitted it and taken the first step you can't judge me.

The other day at Joann Fabrics I got my ads all mixed up.  I got all my Christmas fabrics picked out for a Christmas quilt I wanted to make this year.  As I got to the counter to have it cut, low and behold the sale was the next weekend.  Not one to waste a trip to a craft store I strolled around and heard someone mention... burlap! Just one of the materials I have thought about working with before but never have.  When I get to the burlap not only is it pretty cheap (and I have a 40% off coupon too!) I notice that they have new colors in, ORANGE.  I bought the whole bolt.

I currently have no idea what it is I am going to do with 10 yards of orange burlap, but to start I figured I would make a wreath.  There are TONS out there.  Tons of cute ones too.


Bubble Wreath














Burlap Flower Wreath












Bootiful Burlap Wreath













Multi-Color Wreath











You get the point.  There are tons of burlap wreaths out there.  Most of them were just a bit more work that I wanted to do.  I took some ideas from a few and ended up with this.




Before I go into how I made it, I would just like to say that I learned while in Joann's that they suggest that burlap only be used outside since it can cause allergies like hives or breathing problems.  While working with it that it sheds a lot.  The fibers definitely made me super itchy so before doing anything with the kids I would wash my hands really well.  Getting a little itchy for a cute burlap wreath is a risk I am willing to take, not one I necessarily feel like my kids should share.

Here's what you need:
2 hangars
 needle nose plyers
pipe cleaners
orange burlap
green burlap
small branch
tape of some sort (I used electrical since it was on hand)



How I did it:

You can buy wire wreaths.  For most of the burlap wreaths I saw they used a three tier wire wreath.  I didn't want to spend the money so I took two hangars making each a circle, one bigger than the other. I cut small pieces from a pipe cleaner to secure the two wire circles together and keep a somewhat equal distance between the two.



Next I cut about 6-8 inch strips from the bolt of burlap.  They ended up being about 3 feet in length but I ended up using more than one strip on each circle.



 I tied the end of the cut burlap to the larger circle then tied it again about 3 or 4 inches.  I frayed an extra piece of burlap and used the strings to down the burlap.  I started out using string but this worked the same and blended in.  I continued this as I went around the circle.  When I was done with the first strip and bunched the loops together and started another one.



Once I got all around the larger circle I pushed the burlap to the back and did another circle of burlap loops in front of it tying it every 3 inches and scrunching the loops together. 

I did the same two circles of burlap loops on the smaller circle.





Just keep adding burlap loops until it is as full as you want it to be.  This wreath is my new favorite for fall.  I figured I could use it for Fall and Halloween.  Plus, I have gotten tons of compliments on it! Now just to find out what to do with the rest of the bolt of burlap.

No comments:

Post a Comment