Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fall Greetings!

My love for paper has sought me to find new crafts to utilize my vast paper stash.  I don't know why I have never done this before but I thought I would try my hand at at card making.  I love Christmas and really love Christmas cards so I thought I would try a few fall ones to get the hang of it before I started mass mailing them out to friends and family.

To start I got what I thought I would need together. 

Card Stock
Paper cutter (scissors would work)
Paper punches
Glue gun
Ruler
Butter Knife (used to score so the paper would fold easier)


I used a pre-made for measurements

For my first card I made a leaf banner.
I think it turned out super cute.  I will totally admit though that I am not a calligraphist.  I am sure you would have deducted this by the end of this blog anyways but thought I would just through it out there now.  This card was really simple.  As I finished it I just kept going and made more and more.

Here are the steps for this Fall Leaf Banner Card.  The beginning steps you can use in making all the cards. 
Step 1: Cut the paper to the size you want.  I know this is a duh step, but technically it is step one so there you go! The average greetings card size is 5.5" x 8.5".  Most of the cards I made were 4.25"x 8.5".  Just worked out that I could get more cards per piece of card stock.  It's all just a personal preference. 

Step 2: Scoring the paper
Yes, I know there is a tool that will do this.  However, my motto is why spend money if you can find something that works for free.  Once I measured the paper and marked the middle I used a ruler and ran the blunt side of the knife.  It doesn't need to be deep just deep enough to make a slight crease.  I did this on both sides.  It helps the paper fold easier and helps keep the paper from tearing when folding.

Step 3: I didn't take a picture of this step but I measured the card and cut another piece of card stock in a different color 1/8" smaller on each side.  

Step 4: Leaf Placement

I used the Martha Stewart Leaf Punch and hot glued the leaves to the smaller piece of card stock. 


Step 5: Add the String.  I used hot glue again but make sure you use a really small little dab on the top of each leaf.




Step 6: Secure string ends to the back of the paper.



Step 7: Glue the page to the previously cut card and DONE!!
Okay, so yes I know that a lot of these steps are self explanatory.  Sorry about that but I just the kinda girl that likes steps and directions.  Here are some more of the cards I ended up making.  I will spare you all the steps since I think they were pretty simple.  If you have any questions I would love to answer them for you!

Scallop Punch out Leaf Wreath Card



Peak-a-boo Fall Leaves Card (Pictures didn't turn out as cute as it really is)




Leaves Peak Through Card



Hanging Leaves Card




No comments:

Post a Comment